In this pandemic era, online privacy and cybersecurity have been difficult for everyone across the world. We all know that 2020 was the year of the viruses, from both biological and digital perspective. Some unexpected things happened in 2020, which served as an urgent wake-up call to enhance better pandemic situations. All of us partially depend on online, or we can say some of us depend on online. So in 2021, online privacy has become an overwhelming task for all of us.
In 2021, cybersecurity or online privacy will be a significant challenge as the work from home will continue this year. In these coming years, both individuals and businesses risk their online activities by exposing private information at every step. However, by not using proper online security in 2021, they invite cybercrime to their works and even in their personal lives.
What is Online Privacy?
Online privacy is the state or process of recovering and protecting your computer system systems, devices, networks, and programs from any type of cybercrime, attacks, and threats. Suppose you do not follow a good online privacy guide in 2021. In that scenario, it is easier for the cybercriminals to attack your sensitive data. They can also employ new methods powered by artificial intelligence and social engineering to avoid traditional security and privacy controls.
As we all are becoming increasingly used to the internet and computer systems and the upcoming generation of smart Internet of things, all the online privacy guides will always have to raise their guidelines in the upcoming years. Many businesses and nation-states have begun to consider online privacy a significant challenge because of its complexity in terms and conditions of politics and the enlarging distributed crime and threat surface. Many individuals and businesses are now including risk management of information as part of their enterprise’s risk management.
Why is online privacy important?
Online privacy is important because it encircles everything that concerns the protection of our sensitive data that are present online from cyber theft and damage attempted by cybercriminals, and we can say, opponents. Not only sensitive data but there is also more information such as personal information, intellectual information and data, personally identifiable information, protected health information, intellectual property, and governmental and industry information systems have got risks from cybercriminals. That’s why online privacy has to be secured at its highest level in 2021.
Online privacy risk enlarges itself day by day, guided by global connectivity using cloud services like Amazon Web Services to store sensitive and personal data and information. Extensive low configuration of cloud services paired with enlarging experienced cybercriminals means the risk that your organization suffers from a significant cyber-attack or data breach is on the way more than your thought.
The fact of the matter is, however you are an individual, business(small businesses or large multinational), you rely on your device or computer system.
Therefore, we need to follow some best online privacy guidelines in 2021. Here are some of the best ways by which you can improve your online security and reduce cyber threats and tracks using the Internet browsing the web on your device or computer system.
- Using a secured VPN: Online privacy has become one of the most significant issues around the globe. To use a secure Virtual Private Network (VPN) service is one of the best ways to protect your online privacy in 2021. There are a variety of secured VPNs present on the Internet or in the market. You can choose one of the best-secured VPN for your online privacy. One of the best and secure VPN on the Internet or in the market is Express VPN. VPN helps you hide your IP address from the sites and apps you are using. VPNs also help to hide the apps and sites you are using from your internet service provider. A VPN app is the biggest cakewalk online privacy boost to the Android devices you can give. A VPN app is vital for restricting your location from any other on the Internet and let you pretend to be in another location.
Express VPN ranks top in the best and secured VPNs app present on the Internet or in the Android device market in 2021. Express VPN is
- Reliably fast.
- It has 160 locations in 94 countries.
- It supports 24/7 customer services.
- Minimize your details:
- For good online privacy, you can minimize your details by removing personal details from your account, including locations, addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, and birth dates. By doing this, no cybercriminal will track your location. You must not share anything publically from your account, and you should minimize the number of people who can see what you share on the Internet about your personal life and activities from your account. Don’t cooperate with the information you can share online. The more information you share online, the easier it is for cybercriminals to get that information on their hands, and they can easily misuse it. Don’t always share your activities online. This is the easiest way for the cybercriminals to track you from anywhere from tracking your daily activities. Daily activities give cybercriminals the exact information about you. If you care about online privacy and security, you must not publicly share your personal information and regular activities from your account.
- Never save your financial information on any shopping sites:
- Once your information is online, there is no foolproof way to secure your information. If you want to secure your information, you will always have to delete the site’s information where it is still on. You should always remove your financial information after using it. When shopping sites ask you to save your credit card or debit card information, you should always decline to do so, and this led you to spend some extra minutes to fill your card details again for your next purchase, which is still ok if you want online privacy. Shopping sites are not safeguarded for your financial information or any of your details. So try never to share any of your details on shopping sites, which can be misused by cybercriminals, if you are concerned about online privacy and security.
- Use a complex and unique password for your accounts:
- To secure your private account is the most essential thing in online privacy guidelines. So always use a complex and unique password that cannot be guessed by anyone or by cybercriminals. To utilize complex and unique passwords is one of the most critical aspects of keeping information safe online. This should be a too important thing you should keep in mind if you are concerned about online privacy. If you don’t use a strong password, it is easier for the cybercriminals or hackers to hack your account. Never use the same password for several applications or accounts; this results in getting sensitive information to the hacks or cybercriminals. We can say passwords are the primary security for anything. Online privacy experts continually identify the use of strong, unique, and complex passwords as one of their top recommendations for the best security for your internet security. For more online privacy, choose unique and complex passwords to prevent cybercriminals and hackers from decrypting your password and use them to hack all your accounts and private data which are present online in your application or account. Your passwords’ complexity and uniqueness for applications and accounts are significant to your online privacy and security.
- Always check the settings of social media accounts:
- Use secure websites:
- When you are browsing something, make sure the website you are using is safe and secure. Any secure website uses HTTP encryption protocol to protocol to protect any exchanged data between the server and the user. It is said that the encryption protocol used by HTTPS is very safe and secure. If you get a message before using any website that tells you that the website you are using is not safe, you never use it if you are concerned about online privacy and security. Anyone can quickly check whether a website is protected by HTTPS by just looking at the beginning of the URL you are using. Many web browsers will also notify you before visiting on a server that is not secure. If you visit a non-secure web browser, it will help cyber criminals get your data and information. A non-secure website exchanges your personal information and sensitive data with your internet service provider. Any third party who is spying on you can easily view all your personal information and data with the non-secure web browsers. Therefore, anything you write or submit to the non-secure website can be easily stolen and misused, including sensitive data and personal information like your social security number or credit card information, or your whole identity.
- Improve your browsing habits:
- Mobile Web Browsers rigorously collect and perpetuate users’ primary internet connection and online activity. And these details are then further given to websites to ease them to load faster and format correctly, though other factors should be given attention to. Browser and website and Data sharing fingerprints, trackers, cookies, and the list go on. But this is not the only information being passed on. To find out what kind of data your Browser gives, one can visit sites like Webkay, Panopticlick, and Click. Notwithstanding that a lot of this information doesn’t mean much holistically, the combination of this data can provide your Browser with a unique fingerprint that permits websites to identify you. Close to how the lines and dips of a human fingerprint can be matched to a single individual. For instance, your Browser may be the only one on Indian eastern daylight with an identical set of browser plugins, cookie environments, and display intention.
- A site can use the above Data to keep track of your browsing habits, even if you have taken several steps to limit tracking, such as clearing the cookies. Even third parties can track a person’s online activity across different websites. Browser fingerprinting’s absurd thing is that when a user changes his default browser settings to improve privacy, by turning off HTML5 web storage or blocking cookies, one may make his Browser fingerprint more unique and more comfortable to identify. The only thing good about Browser fingerprinting is fraud prevention.
- Always secure your cloud storage:
- If you are using the cloud storage service to store your files and data, you should always choose an encrypted cloud service. The cloud service provider is the only one who has the key to open your files and data which have been stored in the cloud, only if the cloud service is secure and safe. The cloud provider may be able to access your data and even give it to anyone only at the request of government authorities for some usage of investigation. Though, this does not mean that anyone has to give up using cloud storage altogether. There is a way to ensure your privacy by manually encrypting the files and data before uploading them to the cloud storage service that you are using. Always be sure you are not uploading your encryption keys with the files and data on the cloud services. The tremendous advantage of doing this is that no one can decode your encrypted data and files which you have uploaded on the cloud service.
- Never share your private information with companies:
- Always assume that there is no privacy you are getting on your private data and files that you need to store and share on online services. If you have to share private data and information with online services digitally, always encrypt all the shared data information. The data and information you want to keep private never store, enter, or say anything about those online or digitally. You will have to create the assumption that everything you write in an email, forum, text messages, file, or message board maybe go on the public at some point either by design or by accident, so always encrypt or don’t share your private data and information with online companies or services if you are concerned about your online privacy and security.
- Using a secure payment method: As we all love online shopping; and we all always use some payment method for the payments on online shopping apps or sites. Sometimes you can leave yourself at risk of identity theft if you do not use a secured payment method while making payments on online shopping apps and sites. Always thought that you should only provide your payment information to the secured online shopping app or websites. After sharing your payment information, always delete the information from the online shopping apps and websites because it can’t guarantee that your payment information is under protection. It would help if you always took measures when you are sharing the payment details with any online shopping apps and websites. The things you should keep in mind are
- Always use a secure VPN while sharing your payment details with online shopping apps and websites.
- If anyone wants to be extra secured while exchanging payment details, always do it on your mobile data.
- If you want your payment to stay anonymous, then there is the best choice of using cryptocurrency. one of the best and most secure cryptocurrencies is bitcoin. Bitcoins are straightforward to purchase and using online shopping apps and websites.
- When you are using bank credit cards or debit cards, never save the details of your credit cards and debit cards.
- If you are concerned about your strong security measures on online shopping apps and websites, then you can use PayPal because it is one good and secure option for protecting online payment details.
- Download only trusted apps: These days there are many apps on the Internet for everything. The Internet has many options, from social media platforms and games to weight gain and loss and also productivity tools. As far as you download an app, then that app may or may not contain malware or issues that can hold your online privacy at risk. To be in protection while downloading any application from the Internet, you should keep some of the things in your mind before you download an application on your device:
- Always download trusted apps from trusted sources of apps and developers. If you do not do so, then there is a chance that something terrible malware will sneak through the untrusted application. But if you use a verified source for downloading an application on your device, it is secured, leading to your online privacy being safe.
- Before downloading any unfamiliar app, always go through its reviews and check the ratings of that particular application. This helps you to see what other users of that app are thinking. If you find any suspicious thing on that app’s review and ratings, you should stay away from those apps.
- While giving permissions to the application, you should carefully review the permissions. Only give permissions when it is necessary. Don’t give permissions unnecessary when it is not needed.
- Allow your location permission only with the apps which are highly secured. Until and unless it is not needed for even the secured apps’ functioning, never share your locations with the apps. Sometimes cybercriminals track your activities and behaviour in exchange with the apps and track your private information and data.
- Always delete old apps from your device because it may harm your device, and maybe it is not secure anymore. If you desire to use an old app, then check it’s security for online privacy.
Online privacy and security in 2021 have become more and more important to all of who are using the Internet and online services. As technology and the Internet have become a more significant part and need of our daily lives, we risk exposing ourselves to the many cyber threats to our online privacy and security. However, following the instructions given above makes it easier to protect your data and information from online cyber threats and criminals.
However, sometimes it is easier to stay in ignorance rather than reacting or using the Internet all the time. If you don’t share your data and information on the Internet or social media, then you do not have to worry more about the online privacy guide. Instead of facing a fear of your identity and information leaked online, you should follow all the safety majors or spend more time and effort to secure your data and information, and believe me, this step is worth it when you are concerned about online privacy in 2021.
Instead of trying and implementing everything for your online privacy, you should take the time to examine which cybercrime and threats are of most concern to your online privacy and try only to target them. VPNs for Android devices are the best way and a secure way that makes it easy to individualize your online protection and IP address, which is your biggest privacy concern digitally and directly.