A VPN and an antivirus are both used to secure your internet operating device. You can use both of them to prevent unauthorized access to your device. But the discussion about which one is better is a little confusing because both have their separate tasks. We can say VPN and antivirus are both used combinedly to prevent better threats.
Let’s discuss what VPN and antivirus are.
What is a VPN?
A VPN or a Virtual Private Network is a service that will help you to secure your connection from unauthorized access. This also provides privacy to your internet connection. A VPN allows the user to transfer information securely from their network connection to any public network. It can be used to access some restricted websites, shield your browsing activities. This will also hide your geographical locations and the IP address from any prying eyes of the hackers. It provides encryption and anonymity, which protects online activities and keeps your web browsing anonymous.
Using a VPN for your network and cybersecurity is one of the best ways to protect your internet privacy. A VPN can hide as many things that can give you great online privacy as well as security. The things which a VPN hides are:
- Browsing history from your internet connection.
- The IP address from the online server and connection.
- Geographical locations from the internet connection.
- Streaming locations of the sites which you have viewed.
- Device name which you are using during browsing.
- Your web activities which you have done from your internet server and connections.
These all help to maintain internet usage freedom from any service, either public or private. A VPN can help safeguard the data you send and receive on your devices as they are encrypted.
What is an Antivirus?
An antivirus is a software that is used to detect and prevent malicious software from your device. This type of software can be installed on your device to scan, detect and delete harmful viruses from your operating device. Once it is installed, it will smoothly run automatically in the background to protect your device. It is a type of computer protecting software. This software is designed to evaluate data and eradicate malware as soon as possible.
An antivirus gives comprehensive protection to your computer and operating device. This software can do some specific tasks. These tasks are-
- Scan specific data and files on the operating device.
- Detect any malware software and negative pattern.
- Automatically scans your device.
- Remove any detected malware and malicious code, sometimes notifies before it, and sometimes do it independently.
- Allows you to start a scan for your whole device.
- Show you the health of your computer or operating device.
These are the tasks that antivirus does for your computer and operating device. It will ensure that your computer and operating devices are secured from any outer malware and malicious codes.
Difference between VPN and Antivirus:
As we all know that both the VPN and antivirus is used to secure your privacy and data from malicious software and codes. There are many differences between VPN and antivirus as one is used to secure your internet connection, and another is used to secure your operating device. But they do these works in different ways such as:
- A VPN makes sure that your internet connection is safe and secure from any outer hacker trying to get into your internet connection. But an antivirus makes sure that your device is safe from any virus which can infect your operating device.
- If anyone wants to monitor your activities through an internet connection, then a VPN will block it. But if anyone enters the device with some malicious code, an antivirus will detect and delete it.
- A VPN will not protect your device from malware and computer viruses. And an antivirus will not protect you from a hacker who is prying on your connection.
- A VPN will encrypt your traffic and data. But an antivirus will scan your data inside your operating device.
- A VPN can secure your access to restricted internet content. But an antivirus will secure your operating device.
- A VPN will delete permanently delete internet sessions. But an antivirus will permanently delete virus and adware from your device.
- A VPN will block phishing emails from entering your connection. If it enters your computer, then the antivirus will detect it and delete it.
By all these ways, we can say that a VPN and an antivirus both have their task in protecting you from cyber threats and malicious codes. We cannot say that anyone is better in any way from each other. An excellent and secure VPN allows you to surf the web anonymously. This can be done by attaching your device to a secure private server and concealing your actual IP address. But a good antivirus will remove any malicious code detected. Sometimes you will be notified of the infection and asked before deleting it. But sometimes, other programs will automatically do this behind the scenes without asking.
Use Good VPN and updated antivirus.
Always make sure that you are using the best VPN in the market, or it should be the best according to your needs. Make sure that you are utilizing an updated antivirus version because hackers always develop new viruses and malware. There is a variety of VPN and antivirus in the market. You can select the best one.
We all realize that we cannot select anyone from a VPN and an antivirus as both of them have their tasks in protecting your device and internet connection. We conclude that a VPN won’t protect you from malware and computer viruses. It can only encrypt your online traffic and internet connection. And an antivirus cannot encrypt your online data and connection. It will scan, detect and delete any malware from your operating device. All this will help you to understand that you cannot select from a VPN and an antivirus. Both have their separate task for your privacy and security.